Friday, June 20, 2014

Hot tub time

For the last 12 years I have been spoiled rotten with a therapeutic spa that sits on our deck 3 steps outside the sliding glass door.  We initially bought it as a place to relax and have found that it has been a blessing in so many more ways than that.  I quickly learned that it is a great place to thaw out during the cold Connecticut winter months.  When I’m feeling chilled to the bone I just sit in the hot tub until I’ve given myself a nice fever of 101°F.  Sometimes I’ve done that 2-3 times in one day.  
Occasionally, Rob will come in with me and we’ll have a little ‘mini-date’ as we talk about our day but mainly, I have gotten into the habit of putting the kids to bed and heading out to the Hot tub to get some alone time and relaxation.  As I sink into the warmth of the water and begin to feel the jets soothe the aches of the day, I look up at the sky and the plethora of stars.  I am always filled with awe at the vastness of the universe and the Greatness of God who created it all.  I easily pick out my favorite constellations and am amazed at how the stars always stay in their spots and more amazing yet, the North Star sits above the old oak tree in our back yard in the exact same spot every night.  The rest of the constellations rotate around the sky but the North Star never moves.   I very often find myself compelled to sing praise songs to the Creator of our Universe.  Over the years, my “Hot Tub Time” has become a time of prayer and worship.  I can’t help but feel so small in the scheme of things and yet God cares about me. He shows me this night after night.  After I’ve spilled my heart out to Him, I am quiet.  It is in these moments that He whispers to my soul.  He lets me know that while we are each very small in this universe, we are very significant to God.  He has created each one of us with a purpose and in these quiet moments, He reveals his purpose for ME.  Sometimes it is in big ways, like his desire for us to do foreign missions, but mostly it’s in small ways.  He will put a thought in my mind of someone who needs a phone call or to send a note the next day.  Sometimes an apology needs to be said or I get the feeling that I need to say yes to volunteering to help out at the school or church when earlier in the day I felt too overwhelmed to say, “Yes.”  Whatever the case, I have learned that whenever I listen to these promptings, I am always blessed with an opportunity to share Jesus’s love with someone which confirms for me that it was indeed God speaking those thoughts into my soul.
Last night was the last time I get to sit in the Hot Tub with God for a long while.   Today we are shutting it down as we will be moving out of the house tomorrow.  I was so sad at first since this has become a special time in my day for not only physical renewal but spiritual renewal as well.  God gently reminded me that there will be plenty of stars in Costa Rica.  I wondered if I’d be able to see the North Star from near the equator and if I would have to learn new constellations.  (OK.  So I admit that sometimes my conversations with Him are very basic and childlike)  He quickly steered my thoughts back to Him and how he will make sure that I’ll be able to see the magnificence of His creation every day that I seek Him no matter where I am.  We will be able to have our moments of Prayer and Worship and Silence, so that we can continue to have the little conversations that I have grown to crave. 

What started out as a completely selfish and indulgent purchase, God has used to draw closer to me.  Thank you Jesus for loving me and caring enough to use a hot tub for your glory.  My prayer for all of you is that you will each find your “hot tub.”  The thing that is going to draw you in to an intimate relationship with God because there is nothing better than sitting in the presence of Jesus and feeling his love and warmth wrapped around you in a great big hug.

Yvonne

2 comments:

  1. What a journey...God is great, isn't He? U will find a special spot near the water that will touch hour heart as if you were in that hot tub. Brought tears! Can't wait to hear more once you get settled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my hot-tub moment I gaze out of the window at a beautiful copper beach tree. The more I pay attention to it, the more I notice it changing with the seasons and the weather. Like you, I often get the feeling God is communicating through this tree. Ideas float into my mind such as, reaching out to a bereaved neighbour or helping at a charity fair. I hope you have found a way to resume you hot-tub moments in your new place.

    Leena Wolf @ H2O Spas

    ReplyDelete